Fitzgerald Services Banner Pet Travel.png


Fitzgeralds Veterinary Care Pet Passport.png
Pet Travel APHA-Logo-620x413-1.png

Great Britain is a Part 2 listed country regarding the EU and NI and pet travel. This means that owners travelling to the EU or NI with their dog, cat or ferret are no-longer able to use a GB issued EU Pet Passport. Instead, owners need to obtain an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) from their vet for each individual trip they wish to take into the EU or NI.

The AHC:

  • Is valid for one single trip only. A new AHC must be issued for all subsequent trips into the EU or NI.

  • Must be used within 10 days of being issued.

  • Once used to enter EU or NI, is valid for 4 months OR when pet’s rabies vaccine expires (whichever comes first).

  • Can be used for onward travel through EU or NI only.

  • Is valid for return to the UK within 4 months of issue.

  • Is only for the movement/travel of non-commercial dogs, cats or ferrets.

  • For a maximum of 5 pets allowed to travel with owners unless for competitions/training/shows/sporting event (please contact your vet for these scenarios).

In order to qualify for an AHC, pets must:

  • Be microchipped.

  • Be vaccinated for rabies a minimum of 21 days prior to travel.

  • Be a minimum of 12 weeks old.

When returning to the UK from the EU or NI with your pet:

  • Dogs must receive tapeworm treatment 24-120 hours before return and have the treatment administered by a vet. Please ensure you have the right documentation to demonstrate a tapeworm treatment has been given. 

  • Your vet will need to have Official Veterinarian (OV) status from the Animal Plant Health Agency, so please check with your local vet before booking your appointment for an AHC. Please note, GB OV vets are not permitted to enter any details into an EU passport apart from Tapeworm treatment.